Tuesday 5 October 2010

jMonkeyEngine

Although we are currently limited to 2D in a big way, and our projects for a while yet will still probably be top down (perhaps iso with overlapping to mimic 3D if I somehow develop artistic ability overnight), I cannot stop drooling over this: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/
The running at over 1000 fps at times might be a little excessive, but I doubt a cap would be to hard. This opensource Java engine is still an alpha after all, and it looks like it has a whole lot of potential.
Callum and I would need to switch from using Eclipse to netBeans, but it's far from the end of the world, and well worth it by the looks of things. 3D is just one of those things that makes everything better.
I should probably stop daydreaming and get back to doing some work since this is such a long way off, but maybe in a year's time we'll have some 3D up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment